Beginning Player Information
Do you have a beginning player? Are you interested in introducing your child to tennis? Grotto Bay Tennis Club can get your child on the court and having fun in less than an hour with the QuickStart Tennis program.
What is QuickStart Tennis?
QuickStart Tennis, or 10 and Under Tennis is designed and structured for kids to learn, rally and play quickly in a way that is both enjoyable and rewarding.
What is the QuickStart format?
The QuickStart format utilizes shorter, narrower courts and different balls that have varying levels of compression. The lower compression balls allow the game to move slower giving kids more time to react. The balls bounce at the children’s height making it easier for them to hit and travel less distance giving beginning players better and longer rallies. This helps build their skills more quickly, making them more enthusiastic about continuing to play and improve. Each age group, therefore, uses a ball better suited to their size and unique playing ability.
- For 8 and Under, a foam ball or a very low compression ball moves slower, bounces lower and travels less distance.
- For 10 and Under, a low compression ball moves a little faster and travels farther than the ball used with the younger group, but it still has a lower bounce than the original.
QuickStart racquets are also smaller. For an adult player to succeed at tennis, racquet control is essential. The same goes for kids. But since kids are smaller than adults, kids have trouble controlling full-size racquets. They're too long, they're too heavy, and the grips are too large. Kids need racquets that are proportionate in length and weight and have a grip that fits their smaller hands.
- For 8 & under, the racquet should be 19, 21 or 23 inches
- For 10 & under, the racquet should be 23 or 25 inches
Court dimensions and nets have also been adjusted and are scaled to the size and ability level of young children.
- For 8 and Under, children will play on a court that is 36-feet long and 18-feet wide. The net is 18 feet long and 2-foot, 9-inches in height. Portable nets and support systems are available from many manufacturers, or temporary nets can be constructed using tape or caution tape tied to existing nets, fences or even chairs.
- For 10 and Under, a regulation net is used on the 60-foot court. If you are not using an existing court and net, the net height for the 60-foot court is three feet.
The scoring system has been modified as well. Gone is the traditional 15, 30, 40, deuce system.
- For 8 and Under, there are only seven points in a game, so match play is short and sweet. Kids play the best of three games; the first to score seven points wins the game. The first to win two games wins the match. The longest the match will last is approximately 20 minutes.
- For 10 and Under, players should play the best-of-three sets; the first to win four games wins a set. For the third set, the first player to win seven points wins the match.
Give us a call today at 293-3420, if you would like to drop by and see how our QuickStart Tennis program works.
Intermediate and Advanced Junior Development Program Information
Do you have a player that knows the game and plays pretty well, but would like to take their skills to the next level? Then Grotto Bay Tennis Club is the right place for your child.
Our Junior Development program offers a systematic and progressive approach to tennis excellence. Structured around effective growth and development principles, players move at their own pace based on their ability, improvement and commitment. Every level of the program has a simple set of objectives, and Coach Douglas makes your child achieving each goal his priority. The group component of our Junior Development Program is held on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm, where players practice their skills and develop their game in round-robin competitions.
Private lessons are also recommended for our players as these sessions give your child the personal attention and customized exercises they need to further develop their game.
For more information on our Junior Development Program, contact our Club Services desk at 293-3420.